Friday, February 8, 2013

Valentine's Day, Shmalentine's Day.

Baby Daddy and I usually don't put too much emphasis on Valentine's Day - it's kind of stupid and really only important to couples who are just starting out their relationship. Then after a a few years you realize how un-important V-Day is compared to your anniversary, each others birthdays, Christmas, etc. 


Image courtesy of dumpaday.com
We tell and show each other we love each other (almost) everyday, Valentine's Day is nothing special. However, given this is the "last Valentine's Day" that will be just us two we're actually celebrating for once. I told Baby Daddy I want to go out on one last romantic date, just the two of us, before baby gets here and it just so happens Valentine's Day is one of the last days it will be just us two so we're taking advantage of the hype. 

We're going to our favorite Japanese steakhouse for dinner and we were thinking of going to a movie too, but we don't want to be too ambitious. By the time we're done eating we're typically both too full to function and do anything other than take our pants off and go home to bed. I did get him a gift though, which we never do. But I want to show him how much I appreciate everything he's done the last 9 months, cooking and cleaning for me, pretty much moving us into our new house all by himself (and his amazing brother who helped with the move among other things these past few months) and unpacking/setting up furniture AND painting and setting up the baby's nursery. Phew! The guy has really done everything so I'm getting him a professional massage to relax him and make him feel good. Plus I can get another prenatal massage while we're at it. It's a win, win!

I can't tell you enough how crazy the last 9+ months have been, and don't think I would understand if someone was trying to explain it to me. You just have to experience it for yourself to know. Before this I would listen to my friends, family and coworkers talk about their pregnancies and lives going through this but it didn't really mean anything to me... I know it sounds rude but, let's be honest. In the last 9 months I changed jobs, got pregnant and bought a house. For a 20-something that's almost every significant life change all taking place in less than one year. And for a girl, like myself, who doesn't like commitment or to be tied down to anything (mentally, physically or financially) it was hard to adjust. But there's something in you, some kind of natural force or science, that just gets you through it and makes it feel "right." 

I'm still working, and will until I pop. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for this. My boss was asking me yesterday when my last day will be and I told him, "whenever I pop." He and everyone else I work with think I need to take time off before the baby. Well, you don't. My doctor actually said that continuing to work and live a normal life is better for you, because if you're not keeping yourself busy you get anxiety and stress wanting baby to arrive sooner and stress/anxiety is not good for your labor, you or the baby. So I'm just walking around with a gargantuan belly that has a mind of its own and runs into things all the time, going about my business until I can't no more. Really, you'd think after 9+ months I'd understand my size a little better. Not the case. I keep forgetting how big my belly is, it hits doors, walls, door frames, slides along counter tops and gets messes all over my shirt. It's actually pretty hilarious. Just the other day I lifted my shirt to put cocoa butter on my belly and found a Craisin stuck to it! I didn't feel it and had no clue. I ran into the living room to show Baby Daddy - we couldn't stop laughing. It's moments like these that make pregnancy pretty freaking hilarious. It's the most awkward time of your life but you can really have fun with some things. Make fun of yourself. You look ridiculous anyways. Why not laugh through your 9 months instead of barfing? I'd much rather laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment