Tuesday, February 12, 2013

A New Meaning to March Madness

It just dawned on me that it's almost March. I can't believe it! March Madness is my favorite time of the year, I've been so wrapped up in uber important life changes I almost forgot how close we are to the Big Dance!

This time last year I was having the time of my life! I'm a huge University of Kentucky fan and as you probably know they KILLED it last year and won the National Championship. 

I was watching the game at a bar here in Seattle filled with Kansas fans (Really, in Seattle? Where did you come from?) I was a smidge tipsy and thought it'd be a great idea to purchase "Wildcat Shots" for random Kansas fans sitting on the other side of the bar as they watched their beloved team lose. The Wildcat Shots consisted of whiskey (a Kentucky fave) and blue food coloring - it was super creative and tasty. NOT. It was disgusting but as we were on our way to victory in the 4th quarter it's all I drank the rest of the night. Bad idea, but worth it for a big UK National Championship win! 

It was awesome being 1 of the 10-15 UK fans in that bar watching as The Brow, Kidd-Gilchrist, Lamb, Knight, Jones and the rest of the Cats dominated the huge Edward Cullen look-a-like. I met two old men there sporting Kentucky gear. They both went to the University of Kentucky in the 40's or 50's (I don't recall, I was about 3 Wildcat Shots in at this point) together and were roommates. One of them moved to Seattle and the other still lives in Kentucky to this day but they've remained BFFs throughout the years. It was awesome to meet them and see their undying love for UK basketball.


Image Courtesy of WDRB.com


I bleed blue no matter what, I'm no fair-weathered bandwagon fan. I love UK ALL THE TIME (which is why I'm excited that Seattle may or may not be purchasing the Sacramento Kings and bringing DeMarcus Cousins to Seattle. Eeeek!) But this year may end up a little differently. There will definitely be less booze (let's be real, probably none at all) and I may be a bit too tired to catch every single game. But damn it I'm going to try! At least enough to follow my bracket, which I haven't made any money on since the 2005 tournament when UNC won - thanks MW! :)

But this March a whole new level of madness will be added to my life, my little baby boy. He should be arriving the first week (possibly sooner) and you bet your ass he'll be donning some UK gear to cheer on the Cats with his momma!

At least this year I won't have to keep up on all the games at work. I typically use ESPN's Gamecast to "watch" them and end up yelling out loud at my desk... I'm not fooling anyone. I've gotten to the point where I don't even try to hide it every March. But this year I'll be home, and can hopefully catch the games between baby feedings, changings, bathings etc. We'll see how that works out. 

GO CATS!

No comments:

Post a Comment