Monday, February 4, 2013

Dooms Day Prepper...

Baby Daddy and I are really prepping for D-Day now. We're working on all cylinders. We work all day long then come home to cleaning, building furniture, organizing, etc. Not to mention all the appointments and calls I have to make to prep for D-Day post-baby's arrival. It's insane and I'm exhausted.

My baby shower was on Saturday and it was great. My friends and family are seriously the bomb. We got pretty much everything we needed, just a few small things we had to go get but we received lots of gift cards and those paid for all the extra stuff we needed. 

I made the decision to have one big baby shower rather than separate ones with each side of the families, friends, etc. I grew up in a divorced home, not only were my parents divorced but also my grandparents and it made holidays and family gatherings really annoying. It was like Hanukkah every Christmas with 8 different family gatherings over the holidays. I don't want that for my son, I want him to see everyone together, for him. He's bringing all these people together because they all have a common interest - their love for him. It turned out great. My family and friends and Baby Daddy's family and friends got along great, love each other and had a great time. I'm so happy I did it. I would have been way too exhausted to do more than one shower anyways, phew I was dead after the party! I felt hungover on Super Bowl Sunday!



Photo courtesy of my dear friend @meanceline because I never take pictures. I'm horrible I didn't even think to take a my camera to my baby shower! Good thing my friends are awesome and remember for me.

Speaking of Super Bowl Sunday how bomb is Beyonce? She's gorgeous. Wasn't too impressed with her performance, I've seen her do better, but I loved seeing Kelly! I really don't think Beyonce gave birth to Blue Ivy, I think she had a surrogate. It's no big deal at all though, I just hate that people lie about it. Who cares? I'd have a surrogate if A. I wasn't already pregnant and B. I could afford it. Before I got pregnant I told Baby Daddy I was going to use a surrogate, I was dead serious too. But you all know how that turned out...

So now that the shower is over and we finally have most everything we need, the nursery is coming along great. I adore it and can't wait to post pictures and share it. It's so stinking cute I can't handle it. Baby Daddy and I make a great team. I also finally picked a pediatrician for the baby, which was no easy feat. I'm crazy when it comes to doctors. My current OB/GYN is the 3rd one I finally decided on after the first 2 rubbed me the wrong way and didn't impress me.

  • Doc #1 let me know about 3 weeks into seeing her that she's just a family medicine practitioner and if anything out of the ordinary happened to me during my pregnancy/labor she'd pretty much have to "phone a friend" because she'd have no idea what she's doing since this isn't her expertise. Um... Why didnt you say that to begin with before I wasted 3 weeks with you?! I'm not going to be laying there on the delivery table waiting for her to pull out her rolodex and call in an expert - I want the damn expert!
  • Doc #2 was awkward. My first appointment with her she wanted me to do an ultrasound with this little rinky dink ultrasound machine to try and see how far along I was. After putting all the goop on my stomach and waving the wand over it, she proceeded to lean over my stomach. As she did that she got goop all over her sleeve and stethoscope then pointed at the screen and exclaimed "Oh wow there's its heartbeat, see its heartbeat?" As if she's never done this before. I was laying there thinking "This bitch is messy, she can't even keep herself together how is she going to keep me together?" Then... yes there's more. She walks out of the room and leaves the door OPEN while yelling at someone to get her something for the machine. I'm laying there all exposed with the damn door open for everyone to look inside and see my lady parts. But the way she yelled at the nurses bugged me the most. She was so rude I didn't want them taking her treatment of them out on me during one of the most terrifying times of my life. So I had to cut her too.


Doc #3 is terrific. She tells it like it is, no sugar coating, no circling around the point. She asks me questions and follows up quickly, and is very well respected in my city. She's the winner. 

I found out my health insurance covers the cost of breast feeding equipment and supplies 100%! Amazing huh? So that damn-near $300 breast pump I need will now be free, it's ugh-mazing. Next up I have a dentist appointment, mani/pedi and comfy clothes shopping spree for post-baby.

It feels great to finally be crossing things off of my to-do list. There is nothing more satisfying to me than taking a fat sharpie to a long to-do list and crossing things off. Aaaaah le sigh. I have a friend due this Friday and she's ready to pull the baby out herself! She's so cute, has everything prepped and ready, is totally calm and ready for baby other than anxiety of just getting it over with. I'm almost completely physically prepared, but I want him to wait to come out a little bit. I'm not quite to the point where I want him out immediately. Who knows I could be singing a different tune in a week or 2 but right now I feel great and just need more time. He'll be here before we know it then I will be a mother for the rest of my life, what's the rush?

In the meantime I've been reading blogs on what mothers wished they would have done before baby and making sure I do them. Here's a good one on Baby Center called Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda. I'm doing most of the things other moms recommend; getting the house ready, treating myself to shopping and spa visits and Baby Daddy and I have a few date nights lined up before our lives change forever. We're getting ready for anything, but hoping for a solid 3 weeks until the little guy decides meets us.

P.S. If you're pregnant (or have a good sense of humor) check out the Twitter hashtag #PregnantLadyProblems. Some of these ladies are hilarious and I wish I was their friend in real life.


No comments:

Post a Comment